- Aratani, Lauren. “Which blare project: noisy New York ponders switch to gentler sirens.” The Guardian. 22 February 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/22/new-york-sirens-noise-police-fire-ambulance
- Behind City’s Painful Din, Culprits High and Low
- Havana’s Symphony of Sound
- Many Pleas for Quiet, but City Still Thunders
- To Create and Quieter City, They’re Recording the Sounds of New York
- Dear Architects: Sound Matters
- Mapping New York’s Noisiest Neighborhoods
- Which blare project: noisy New York ponders switch to gentler sirens
- Another reason to love Passive House: It’s Really Quiet:
- Fetterman, Mindy. “Seeking a Quiet Place in a Nation of Noise.” Pew Online. Stateline. 16 April 2018.
- Altmann, Jurgen. “Acoustic Weapons – A Prospective Assessment.” Science & Global Security. 2001; 9:165-234. http://scienceandglobalsecurity.org/archive/sgs09altmann.pdf
- Bodin T, Björk J, Ardö J, Albin M. Annoyance, sleep and concentration problems due to combined traffic noise and the benefit of quiet side. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12(2):1612–1628. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4344683/
- Hammer MS, Swinburn TK, Neitzel RL. 2014. “Environmental noise pollution in the United States: developing an effective public health response.” Environmental Health Perspective. 122:115–119. http://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1307272
- Ackerman, Diane. A Natural History of the Senses. New York. Vintage Books. 1991
- Boutin, Aimee. City of Noise: Sound and Nineteenth Century Paris: Studies in Sensory History. Champaign. University of Illinois Press. 2015
- Goodman, Steve. Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear. Boston. The MIT Press. 2012
- Graham, Chedd. Sound: from communication to noise pollution. New York. Doubleday. 1970
- Laurence, Ray. “The sounds of the city: from noise to silence in ancient Rome.” Senses of the Empire: Multisensory Approaches to Roman Culture. Edited by Betts, Eleanor. London. Routledge. 2017.
- Li, Qing. Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness. New York. Viking. 2018.